#NKOTB & Black Hills Gold


What posters did I have on my wall growing up? 

I always had a #NKOTB poster on my wall as a little girl. I was such a huge New Kids On The Block fan. I really loved their music. I also had collages that I created hanging up on my walls, too. And, some photos of my family.

I always had my Cabbage Patch dolls, Rainbow Brite doll, Care Bears & other dolls perfectly in place at the foot of my bed. I wasn't someone who was extremely tidy, but when it came to things that were extremely special & important to me, I made sure to take extra special care of them like my dolls on my bed. They each had their own special place at the foot of my bed & were always placed in a sitting up position whenever I left the room. 

I remember that I had this beautiful dark burgundy, shiny music box. It was about the size of two soap boxes stacked on top of each other. There was a space on top of it for a small photo a little bit bigger than a wallet size photo. I left that space open for a long time then I placed a photo of my mom inside it. I used to keep it in my top dresser drawer inside my sock drawer. I fell in love with music boxes as a little girl. 

I was in 5th grade when my mom and I were at the mall in Federal Way. It's called The Commons Mall now, but when I was a little girl it had a different name. I think my other siblings were with us, too. We walked around. We had lunch. There was this jeweler in the middle aisle selling beautiful Black Hills Gold jewelry. To me, it was extremely beautiful. Mom saw me looking at the jewelry & asked me if I would like something from his stand. I shook my head yes, but I knew it was extremely expensive. I didn't want Mom to spend a lot of money on me & then my siblings wouldn't be able to get anything from the trip to the mall. 

"What do you like, Gerri?" Mom asked me with a calm voice, smiling. I pointed to this beautiful earrings & necklace combination & mom motioned for the salesman to wrap it up & give it to me. 

"Thank you, Mommy." I said. I gave her a big hug. Mom smiled and told me that she loved me. "I love all of my babies," she said out loud.

The Black Hills jewelry set was of leaves & gold against a large onyx back piece so the gold & other colors shined brightly. It was a copper color, gold, silver & the black onyx. The necklace had a black heart in the center & matching leaf designs that matched the leaf earrings. The second that we got home, I placed my jewelry inside the burgundy music box. I danced in the room excitedly by myself once my jewelry was safely put away & I said over & over in my mind, "Thank you, Mommy. I love you so much." ☺️🥰😍

That day, everyone got something special at the mall. We weren't a rich family, financially. But, we were loved & taken care of to the best of their abilities. They, my parents did the best that they could & they poured into us so much love. 🥰😊🥰


XoXo ⚘️ 


Love,


Me 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A bowl full of Butterscotch Discs & Saltwater Taffy

The First of Many ... ... .. .

My Special Teddy Bear 🧸